Categories
News

Victoria Police launch Operation Alliance in bid to disrupt youth street gangs

More than 250 arrests have been made in the last month in a bid to disrupt youth street gangs in Victoria.

Police took advantage of coronavirus restrictions keeping people locked inside their homes and assembled Operation Alliance on September 13. 

Many of those targeted were young males in their late teens and early 20s who, like all Melburnians, are banned from leaving the house after 9pm.

Victoria Police took advantage of coronavirus restrictions keeping people locked inside their homes and assembled Operation Alliance on September 13, arresting 251 people

Victoria Police took advantage of coronavirus restrictions keeping people locked inside their homes and assembled Operation Alliance on September 13, arresting 251 people

Many of those targeted were young males in their late teens and early 20s thought to be gang members

Many of those targeted were young males in their late teens and early 20s thought to be gang members

There have been 251 arrests in the siege on youth gangs responsible for crimes including aggravated burglaries, serious assaults, car thefts and home invasions. 

Deputy Commissioner Regional Operations Rick Nugent said: ‘This has meant there are 70 serious offenders currently sitting in cells awaiting their court date, rather than roaming our streets harming the community.’

Police also focused on other known offenders and persons of interest in horrifying crimes. 

More than 720 charges have been laid and 88 search warrants were executed as part of the crackdown.

Police seized illicit firearms, knives, tomahawks, tasers, knuckle dusters, machetes, drugs, tasers and swords. 

So far, 24 Firearm Prohibition Orders, which ban people from owning a gun, were issued.

There have been 251 arrests in the siege on youth gangs responsible for crims such as aggravated burglaries, serious assaults, car thefts and home invasions

There have been 251 arrests in the siege on youth gangs responsible for crims such as aggravated burglaries, serious assaults, car thefts and home invasions

The majority – 21 orders – were issued in the Greater Geelong area.   

‘We make no apologies for targeting the individuals who commit the most serious and violent crimes in our community, whether that’s through arrests, bail compliance checks, proactive patrols in known hotspots, or issuing FPOs,’ Deputy Commissioner Nugent said.

Crime Command boss Mick Frewen said the operation also allowed regional cops to work alongside experts so they can better understand the criminal element.  

Operation Alliance remains ongoing. 

Police also focused on other known offenders and persons of interest in horrifying crimes

Police also focused on other known offenders and persons of interest in horrifying crimes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *